Malaysia Bird Photography Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bird Photography in Xinjiang

+7
ChooEng
Mr No Good
cactus400D
wahoo
hk2000
limmick
nelson khor
11 posters

Go down

Bird Photography in Xinjiang Empty Bird Photography in Xinjiang

Post by nelson khor Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:30 pm

10 Days Bird Photography in Xinjiang
< 十天鸟影在新疆 >
By Nelson Khor

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Xinjiang in Chinese is call "新疆" or local language شینجاڭ, is an autonomous region of the People's Republic of China. "Xinjiang" literally means "New Frontier", a name given during the Qing Dynasty. It located in northwestern China and covers over 1,600,000 square kilometers (617,763 square miles), one-sixth of China's total territory, making it China's largest province. Xinjiang borders Tibet, Qinghai, Gansu, Mongolia, Kazakhstan, Kirghizstan, Uzbekistan, Tadzhikistan, Afghanistan, Pakistan and India. With a population of over 19 million, Xinjiang is home to 47 ethnic groups including the Uygur, the major ethnic group in Xinjiang.

Xinjiang had unique geographical sector and each type of habitat, in Xinjiang itself had record up to 430++ of species and about 100++ is belong to subspecies. Many of the European bird will be migrate during migration season and most of them will be nesting here too. During the trip we can find the bird nest and chick in daily.

This trip we use the 4x4 car as transport and the whole trip we cover up to 2200KM++, cover habitat area are fresh water pond, mountain, open area, forest and also at local village. During the season the daylight is from 6:00am to 10:00pm, so we have 3 hours extra as in Malaysia.

No doubt the Xinjiang scenery is very beautiful.

Again, thanks to Makus, Mr No Good and our China friend Zheng JianPing for the Trip.

Day 1 - China's Xinjiang ( 中国新疆 )
Take early morning flight from Penang > Guangzhou > Urumqi International Airport, we reach Urumqi near mid-night due to Guangzhou heavy rain and all the flight from/to Guangzhou delay, not a good day but still manage to reach on the same day, also a tired day too after whole day in plane.

Day 2 - Nanshan ( 南山 )
Nanshan located at Urumqi south, north Tianshan the general mountainous areas. The Nanshan pasture is apart from the urban district 75 kilometers is situated at Zhongshan and the low mountain intermediate, the elevation 2252 meters.
Here during winter also is a good place for those people love ski

Eurasian Cuckoo - 大杜鹃

Eurasian Linnet - 赤胸朱顶雀

Fire-fronted Serin - 金额丝雀

Great Tit - 大山雀

Jackdaw - 寒鸦

Northern Wheatear - 穗鵖

Day 3 – White Lake( 白湖) > Shixenze ( 石河子 ) > Karamay( 克拉玛依)
白湖 Baihu
Baihu as Mongolia meaning is "white lake", the length 6600 meters, the widest place 1900 meters, the area 8.5 square kilometers, the level of the lake 1954 meters. 15 kilometers apart from northmost part Kanasihu. Baihu is the Kanasihu upstream biggest water source supplies place, therefore the "white lake" water is not only affecting Kanasihu water-holding capacity, also has affected the Kanasi lake water color change, we just cover little bit part of Baihu in the morning session.

石河子 Shixenze
Shixenze the land resource is rich, the landform is complex, the soil type are many, the soil texture is good, by loam primarily. The total acreage 7529 square kilometers, in 2003 was said the area is 2,400,000 acres.

克拉玛依 Karamay
Population: 330,000, area: 9,500 square kilometers (3,668 square miles), Nationalities: Han, Uygur. Karamay is situated in northwestern Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region at the edge of the Junggar Basin. The Tianshan Mountains zigzag south of Karamay, and the road mileage between Karamay and Urumqi is 313 kilometers (194 miles). Karamay is Uygur word meaning 'black oil'. It gained this name for the Black Oil Mountain near the city proper. During winter is extremely cold and summer is roasting, generating a large temperature difference between these two seasons. Comparatively, its spring and autumn are short during a year.

White Headed Duck - 白头硬尾鸭

Eurasian Nightjar - 欧夜鹰

Pied Wheatear - 白顶鵖

Rock Sparrow - 石雀

Day 4 - Karamay( 克拉玛依 ) > Wuerhe ( 乌尔禾 ) > Buerjin ( 布尔津 )
乌尔禾 Wuerhe

Northwest of the Junggar Basin is the Wuerhe (also "Urho") region, where there is a unique wind-eroded geological feature
Commonly referred to as "wind city" because of the frequently howling winds. Due to its eeriness, it is also commonly referred to as "Ghost City". At night, strong wind blowing, sand flying and stones rolling, make frightful and dreaded sounds. The native Mongolian people call it "Sulumuhak," while the local Kazakh people name it "Shytirkrsi," and both names have the same meaning - Ghost Castle.

布尔津 Buerjin
The Kazakhs meaning is the cheerful rivers. Buerjin located at north of Xinjiang, has the advantageous geography superiority, northeast part with Russia, Kazakhstan borders, on the east adjoins to the Mongolian country, the international boundary long 218 kilometers. Within the boundaries rivers are numerous.

Citrine Wagtail - 黄头鹡鸰

House Sparrow - 家麻雀

White Winged Woodpecker - 白翅啄木鸟

Day 5 - Buerjin ( 布尔津 ) > Jiadengyu ( 贾登峪 )
贾登峪 Jiadengyu
Jiadengyu is Kanasi gateway, is the main road leads to the Kanasi scenic area, at present has constructed the headquarters which into Kanasi travels, the elevation is 1600 meters, most of the time we are photograph on the way to Kanasi.

Coal Tit - 煤山雀

Common Kestrel - 红隼

Common Redstart - 欧亚红尾鸲

Eurasian Tree-Creeper - 旋木雀

Ortolan Bunting - 圃鹀

Pine Bunting - 白头鹀

Red Backed Shrike - 红背伯劳

Rufous Tailed Rock Thrush - 白背矶鸫

Saxaul Sparrow - 黑顶麻雀

White Wagtail - 白鹡鸰

Day 6 - Jiadengyu ( 贾登峪 ) > Kanasi ( 喀纳斯 ) > Buerjin ( 布尔津 )
喀纳斯 Kanasi
Located in Burqin County of Altay City within the Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region, and sharing borders with Kazakhstan, Russia and Mongolia, Kanas Nature Reserve boasts a beautiful natural ecosystem formed by lakes, rivers, glaciers, forests, and grasslands.
Kanas, whose name means 'rich and beauty, mysterious and enigmatical' in Mongolian, might be the most alluring resort in northern Xinjiang. The highlight of Kanas Nature Reserve would probably be Kanas Lake. Originating from the Kanas Glacier in Altay Mountain, the Kanas River runs through the mountains for about 125 kilometers (77.7 miles) and Kanas Lake is like a pearl shining on the beautiful river. The lake is 1,375 meters (4,511 ft) high above sea level and covers an area of 45.73 sq kilometers (11,300 acres). The color of Kanas Lake varies according to the seasons and weather. Sometimes it's blue, sometimes green, while sometimes it's as white as milk.

Black Woodpecker - 黑啄木

Chaffinch - 苍头燕雀

Common Starling - 紫翅椋鸟

Mistle Thrush - 槲鸫

Day 7 - Buerjin ( 布尔津 ) > Aletai ( 阿勒泰 ) > Fuhai Lake ( 福海 )
阿勒泰 Aletai
Aletai in Mongolian archaism call as “Jinshan”, because in the mountain contains the gold become popular. 100 kilometers in any direction except South from Aletai and you hit a border: Russia is North, Mongolia is east and Khazakstan is west. A remote area of incredible natural beauty, Aletai in Xinjiang provinces, is less well-known than Urumqi, but its surrounding scenery of evergreen forests, grasslands, rivers, lakes and isolated mountain ranges easily rivals its more popular sister city.

福海 Fuhai Lake
Fuhai also known as Burultokay. It has an area of 33, 273 km² with a population of 70,000. This county is a verdant lush valley surrounded by the barren deserts and wastelands. The Altay Mountains flank this county in the north, two rivers flow through the area the Ulungur River and the Ertix River

Black Headed Gull - 棕头鸥

Common Nightingale - 新疆歌鸲

Common Tern - 普通燕鸥

Great Reed Warbler - 大苇莺

Horned Grebe - 角鸊鷉

Kentish Plover - 环颈鸻

Whooper Swan - 大天鹅

Day 8 - Fuhai Lake ( 福海 ) > Qiakuertu ( 恰库尔图 )
恰库尔图 Qiakuertu
Qiakuertu is a small town, it also on strategic 216 federal highway's, the place that you have to pass before to Urumqi, about 300 kilometers apart from the Urumqi and the next town will be another 200 kilometers away, so you have stay here or fill the gas for your car, else it will no any thing along the 200 kilometers but only desert.
We have the bad day but good experience when we reach Qiakuertu at late night, because of the flood, here was no water and electric supply for few day, it only some Motel have manual generator.

Azura Tit - 灰蓝山雀

Bluethroat - 蓝喉歌鸲

Eurasian Wryneck - 蚁鴷

Isabelline Shrike - 棕尾伯劳

Northern Lapwing - 凤头麦鸡

Oystercatcher - 蛎鹬

Pallas's Sandgrouse - 毛腿沙鸡

Pied Wheatear - 白顶鵖

Day 9 – Qiakuertu( 恰库尔图 ) > Desert area ( 沙漠地区 ) > 乌鲁木齐
Morning wake up and start go thru the desert, we assume can see some of the local animal but we does not, we on and off stop at road side to photograph when we see the bird, we reach Urumqi city at late afternoon.
Now time for shopping for souvenir and regional food after go for wonderful dinner before end of the China trip.

Horned Lark - 角百灵

Asian Short-toed Lark - 短趾百灵

Day 10 - Urumqi > Guangzhou > Penang International Airport

End of the Trip

Last edited by nelson khor on Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
nelson khor
nelson khor
鸟神

http://www.pbase.com/me_photoshots

Back to top Go down

Bird Photography in Xinjiang Empty Re: Bird Photography in Xinjiang

Post by limmick Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:47 pm

A great report and fruitful trip !!! Very Happy

Super pics and very beautiful birds and scenery... hope to be able to do such a trip one day.. Smile
limmick
limmick
Sparrow
Sparrow

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mickylim/sets/

Back to top Go down

Post by hk2000 Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:55 pm

Wonderful trip, report and photos. Just need ask what kind of accommodation and toilet? How much is the whole trip?

hk2000
Sparrow
Sparrow

Back to top Go down

Post by wahoo Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:48 am

wow! great collection and fruitful err birdful trip!
wahoo
wahoo
Woodpecker
Woodpecker

Back to top Go down

Post by cactus400D Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:53 am

Wah Nelson...after 2 years still can remember so clearly the Northern Xinjiang trip. Some town names don't sound familiar to me though I went there 2 times plus 1 more time on my 30 days 4WDs to Urumqi.

Ya! THE TRIP WAS INDEED INTERESTING (ALSO FOR US) FOR YOU GUYS! I KNOW...I WAS THERE BEFORE TOO...heheheheeee...

Next year already booked our bird guide liau...heheheheee...

cactus400D
Bulbul
Bulbul

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr No Good Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:52 pm

cactus400D wrote:Wah Nelson...after 2 years still can remember so clearly the Northern Xinjiang trip. Some town names don't sound familiar to me though I went there 2 times plus 1 more time on my 30 days 4WDs to Urumqi.

Ya! THE TRIP WAS INDEED INTERESTING (ALSO FOR US) FOR YOU GUYS! I KNOW...I WAS THERE BEFORE TOO...heheheheeee...

Chiong ar!!!!

Since you have been there for 2 times, now booked the 3rd time. I suggest you build a bungalow there, we can go and java for you.... Big Smile Big Smile
Mr No Good
Mr No Good
山林与鸟

http://www.flickr.com/photos/banhor/

Back to top Go down

Post by cactus400D Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:37 pm

Mr No Good wrote:
cactus400D wrote:Wah Nelson...after 2 years still can remember so clearly the Northern Xinjiang trip. Some town names don't sound familiar to me though I went there 2 times plus 1 more time on my 30 days 4WDs to Urumqi.

Chiong ar!!!!

Since you have been there for 2 times, now booked the 3rd time. I suggest you build a bungalow there, we can go and java for you.... Big Smile Big Smile

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Too bad, the Chinese govt refused to sell to me there cos all those are restricted areas unless you (a big towkay) brings heaps of money to invest into
a big sanctuary bird resort, something like Kanasi...can lor...
lol! lol! lol! What's more! Marry one only can get me a 'nomadic' Mongul pau... and I will be spending time looking after sheeps, lamb and goats instead of birding...LOL!

cactus400D
Bulbul
Bulbul

Back to top Go down

Post by ChooEng Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:26 pm

Great trip report, must have taken you a few days to write-up.

Like those reports on the cities and towns also. Pity I can't read much Chinese. Except for simple strokes, like, one or two or east & west, etc.

Just 1 or 2 comments, A good plus point is that only 1 photo per bird,

no offence meant - but no matter how good the bird photo, it is a good idea to keep to 1 or at most 2 photos per species.

I do suggest it may be best to break it into 2 or 3 "chapters" or posting for this report.

The dream bird for me was the Tree-creeper.

Well Done! Nelson.

Choo Eng.

ChooEng
Sparrow
Sparrow

Back to top Go down

Post by nelson khor Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:29 pm

limmick wrote:A great report and fruitful trip !!! Very Happy

Super pics and very beautiful birds and scenery... hope to be able to do such a trip one day.. Smile

Thanks, sure you can
nelson khor
nelson khor
鸟神

Back to top Go down

Post by nelson khor Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:31 pm

hk2000 wrote:Wonderful trip, report and photos. Just need ask what kind of accommodation and toilet? How much is the whole trip?

Accommodation there is about 3 to 4 star.. not bad at all... Toilet.. don't worry as long as in Hotel is fine.....

About the cost now is not same.... our is special price.
nelson khor
nelson khor
鸟神

Back to top Go down

Post by nelson khor Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:31 pm

wahoo wrote:wow! great collection and fruitful err birdful trip!

Thanks
nelson khor
nelson khor
鸟神

Back to top Go down

Post by nelson khor Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:33 pm

I have write down every day ... so still can remember lah..... you sleep in the car.. so don't know low... hahaha
nelson khor
nelson khor
鸟神

Back to top Go down

Post by nelson khor Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:34 pm

cactus400D wrote:
Mr No Good wrote:

Chiong ar!!!!

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Too bad, the Chinese govt refused to sell to me there cos all those are restricted areas unless you (a big towkay) brings heaps of money to invest into
a big sanctuary bird resort, something like Kanasi...can lor...
lol! lol! lol! What's more! Marry one only can get me a 'nomadic' Mongul pau... and I will be spending time looking after sheeps, lamb and goats instead of birding...LOL!

You want me recommend to you.... I love the lamb there... very much... still miss it.. but next year have to go other part of China or other Country... looking for better lamb.. afro
nelson khor
nelson khor
鸟神

Back to top Go down

Post by nelson khor Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:37 pm

ChooEng wrote:Great trip report, must have taken you a few days to write-up.

Like those reports on the cities and towns also. Pity I can't read much Chinese. Except for simple strokes, like, one or two or east & west, etc.

Just 1 or 2 comments, A good plus point is that only 1 photo per bird,

no offence meant - but no matter how good the bird photo, it is a good idea to keep to 1 or at most 2 photos per species.

I do suggest it may be best to break it into 2 or 3 "chapters" or posting for this report.

The dream bird for me was the Tree-creeper.

Yes, ChooEng... about week with my poor English...
Thanks ChooEng for the suggestion.... me not good in write or reporting... just like all into one... do hope my India Trip can be consider this....

Well Done! Nelson.

Choo Eng.
nelson khor
nelson khor
鸟神

Back to top Go down

Post by cactus400D Tue May 15, 2012 3:15 am

Just found out that our 3 musketeers are now birding in Northern Xinjiang... I thought all these while is that there are going at end of the month... hope they come back with better shots and more lifers!

Chiong eh!

cactus400D
Bulbul
Bulbul

Back to top Go down

Post by makus Tue May 22, 2012 5:47 pm

cactus400D wrote:Just found out that our 3 musketeers are now birding in Northern Xinjiang... I thought all these while is that there are going at end of the month... hope they come back with better shots and more lifers!

Chiong eh!

Xirui didn't bring us to shoot the 'common' birds... said we should improve our 'standard'.... so we got less species, few more lifers and much improved shots Razz
makus
makus
Woodpecker
Woodpecker

Back to top Go down

Post by JKC Tue May 22, 2012 6:05 pm

Great shots but waiting for second chapter Hehe
JKC
JKC
Woodpecker
Woodpecker

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/24469470@N04/

Back to top Go down

Post by nelson khor Tue May 22, 2012 8:34 pm

cactus400D wrote:Just found out that our 3 musketeers are now birding in Northern Xinjiang... I thought all these while is that there are going at end of the month... hope they come back with better shots and more lifers!

Chiong eh!

I know you are in China now..... we just go for improvement shots... of course some lifer too....[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
nelson khor
nelson khor
鸟神

Back to top Go down

Post by chongbt Wed May 23, 2012 1:43 pm

Thanks for sharing Nelson.
Its always enjoyable to read your travel logs and great pics too.
Hope to be able to join you guys in the future.
chongbt
chongbt
Woodpecker
Woodpecker

http://www.flickr.com/photos/batguyz

Back to top Go down

Post by nelson khor Wed May 23, 2012 8:43 pm

chongbt wrote:Thanks for sharing Nelson.
Its always enjoyable to read your travel logs and great pics too.
Hope to be able to join you guys in the future.

Sure... cheers
nelson khor
nelson khor
鸟神

Back to top Go down

Post by Naethan Wed May 23, 2012 10:17 pm

Nice report bro....

Naethan
Bulbul
Bulbul