Malaysia Bird Photography Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Raptor ID Part 1

4 posters

Go down

Raptor ID Part 1 Empty Raptor ID Part 1

Post by alphan Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:26 am

Spend a few days shooting raptors then a few months scratching my head on the ID. After much hair loss and headache, I have to seek the expert's advise here before I go crazy. So please lend me a hand. Thanks.

1. Eastern Marsh Harrier?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2.Short Toed Snake Eagle?

3.Shikra?

4. Grey Faced Buzzard?
alphan
alphan
Bulbul
Bulbul

Back to top Go down

Raptor ID Part 1 Empty Re: Raptor ID Part 1

Post by jytou Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:57 pm

1. Eastern Marsh Harrier typical male
2. Grey-faced Buzzard
3. Common Kestrel, should be female adult (not bad!)
4. Chinese Sparrowhawk, adult male

jytou
Woodpecker
Woodpecker

Back to top Go down

Post by alphan Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:44 am

Thanks Tou. I think even with today's Malaysian education standard, I only get 25% which would be "D" right = fail. LOL
alphan
alphan
Bulbul
Bulbul

Back to top Go down

Post by jytou Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:00 pm

alphan wrote:Thanks Tou. I think even with today's Malaysian education standard, I only get 25% which would be "D" right = fail. LOL

haha, dont say like that, it took me years to be able to ID a few of these...... hahahah

jytou
Woodpecker
Woodpecker

Back to top Go down

Post by alphan Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:19 am

jytou wrote:
alphan wrote:Thanks Tou. I think even with today's Malaysian education standard, I only get 25% which would be "D" right = fail. LOL

haha, dont say like that, it took me years to be able to ID a few of these...... hahahah

Oh dear. I always wonder to myself.....I am very sure my parents when they are at my age, remembers things so much better. In a few more years, I would be losing more than remembering...LOL So just have to torture myself by squeezing more in than ever...to maintain equilibrium or better.
alphan
alphan
Bulbul
Bulbul

Back to top Go down

Post by jhseow Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:34 am

alphan wrote:Spend a few days shooting raptors then a few months scratching my head on the ID. After much hair loss and headache, I have to seek the expert's advise here before I go crazy. So please lend me a hand. Thanks.

lol! , you are so funny !!
My raptor id also very poor, know CSE, BHE and maybe CHE only. Sad
jhseow
jhseow
鸟语花香

Back to top Go down

Post by alphan Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:00 am

jhseow wrote:
alphan wrote:Spend a few days shooting raptors then a few months scratching my head on the ID. After much hair loss and headache, I have to seek the expert's advise here before I go crazy. So please lend me a hand. Thanks.

Ha....I don't know your age but my memory belies my age, the opposite ways. My memories and eyesight use to be almost perfect until a few years ago when I sort of suddenly start to lost them. So now I just try to stop loosing them anymore. I am not so sure about the three you mention here. If you put a CSE and MSE together, I have to dig my Guide book for answer. Same goes to the other 2. Another area I always fail are the waterbirds..... We are fortunate to have a few Sifus here who can guide us. Thanks to them.
alphan
alphan
Bulbul
Bulbul

Back to top Go down

Post by jytou Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:04 pm

alphan wrote:
jhseow wrote:

Ha....I don't know your age but my memory belies my age, the opposite ways. My memories and eyesight use to be almost perfect until a few years ago when I sort of suddenly start to lost them. So now I just try to stop loosing them anymore. I am not so sure about the three you mention here. If you put a CSE and MSE together, I have to dig my Guide book for answer. Same goes to the other 2. Another area I always fail are the waterbirds..... We are fortunate to have a few Sifus here who can guide us. Thanks to them.

Haha, you could be probably trying to see us as too god-like sometimes and believed we dont have to refer to guides to confirm our IDs, the fact is, we always do!!! of coz unless when you are so familiar with certain species, I spent some efforts in raptor ID in the last few years, so at least for the 4 cases you post here are reasonably easier for me due to all the pain and suffer I had been through to remember all the characteristics correctly!! Ok, lets look at your second query.....

jytou
Woodpecker
Woodpecker

Back to top Go down

Post by Terence Ang Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:01 pm

agree with tou ID

Terence Ang
Sparrow
Sparrow

Back to top Go down