Malaysia Bird Photography Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need ID Help

3 posters

Go down

Need ID Help Empty Need ID Help

Post by cwf Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:17 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Why this one look so different in color ?
cwf
cwf
Flycatcher
Flycatcher

Back to top Go down

Need ID Help Empty Re: Need ID Help

Post by nelson khor Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:57 pm

Look like Grey Backed Shrike.. but should not be.

Maybe is Brown Shrike.. but the color is not equal too

Have to wait for expert like JYTou
nelson khor
nelson khor
鸟神

http://www.pbase.com/me_photoshots

Back to top Go down

Post by cwf Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:15 pm

nelson khor wrote:Look like Grey Backed Shrike.. but should not be.

Maybe is Brown Shrike.. but the color is not equal too

Have to wait for expert like JYTou

谢谢鸟神。
cwf
cwf
Flycatcher
Flycatcher

Back to top Go down

Post by jytou Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:05 pm

Where did you saw this? I must say it does not look regular, do you have any shots that will show the upperside of the tail? or backview?

It does seem to match Grey-backed better than any other species, and Grey-backed is not recorded in Malaysia!! Hopefully you have more shots on this one, even blur shots would help to pinpoint its ID.

When one see grey ones as such, possible suspects could be "lucionensis" and "confusus" Brown Shrikes, but both are expected to show some brown tone, and Long-tailed Shrike may look grey but this bird looked like a pretty mature bird, or at least very close to maturity and I believed at the same age, the pale-backed morph Long-tailed Shrikes should had developed a significant long tail.

So this is either a rare probably unknown pale variation or mutation of a Brown Shrike or perhaps an authentic Grey-backed Shrike??

jytou
Woodpecker
Woodpecker

Back to top Go down

Post by cwf Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:37 pm

jytou wrote:Where did you saw this? I must say it does not look regular, do you have any shots that will show the upperside of the tail? or backview?

It does seem to match Grey-backed better than any other species, and Grey-backed is not recorded in Malaysia!! Hopefully you have more shots on this one, even blur shots would help to pinpoint its ID.

When one see grey ones as such, possible suspects could be "lucionensis" and "confusus" Brown Shrikes, but both are expected to show some brown tone, and Long-tailed Shrike may look grey but this bird looked like a pretty mature bird, or at least very close to maturity and I believed at the same age, the pale-backed morph Long-tailed Shrikes should had developed a significant long tail.

So this is either a rare probably unknown pale variation or mutation of a Brown Shrike or perhaps an authentic Grey-backed Shrike??

Very sorry to let you know. I have 18 shoot but all in the same post.
Will try to shoot more.
Thanks you. Master Tou.
cwf
cwf
Flycatcher
Flycatcher

Back to top Go down

Post by jytou Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:48 pm

cwf wrote:
jytou wrote:Where did you saw this? I must say it does not look regular, do you have any shots that will show the upperside of the tail? or backview?

Will try to shoot more.
Thanks you. Master Tou.

Where was it taken? try to relocate it again if possible and shoot some back views of back, rump and uppertail. Smile

jytou
Woodpecker
Woodpecker

Back to top Go down

Post by cwf Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:02 pm

jytou wrote:
cwf wrote:

Will try to shoot more.
Thanks you. Master Tou.

Where was it taken? try to relocate it again if possible and shoot some back views of back, rump and uppertail. Smile

Shoot from Muar, Johor.
Will try again.
Thanks you. Master Tou.
cwf
cwf
Flycatcher
Flycatcher

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down