Malaysia Bird Photography Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Masked Lapwings ( Vanellus miles miles) approaching Bromfield Swamp Queensland

2 posters

Go down

Masked Lapwings ( Vanellus miles miles) approaching Bromfield Swamp Queensland Empty Masked Lapwings ( Vanellus miles miles) approaching Bromfield Swamp Queensland

Post by Rod Warnock Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:30 pm

Masked Lapwings ( Vanellus miles miles) approaching Bromfield Swamp Queensland
Canon EOS 7D Lens 400mm L USM ISO400 F6.3 1/2000 available 3 August 2011 5.35pm
While taking images on the northern approaches to Bromfield Swamp of returning flocks of both Brolgas and Sarus Cranes , occasional flocks of Masked Lapwings ( Vanellus miles miles) numbering from 15-30 individuals also arrived to roost in the floor of the extinct volcano as did the cranes. What took my eye was the group flight pattern of this magnificent species flying south in the warm light of the afternoon. They also were headed over the rim of the volcano and the roosting area in Bromfield Swamp which occupies the floor of the crater. They were flying through the shadows of distant trees which added another element to the later afternoon light. It was only when processing the image that I found I had got images of an intergrade between two races of Masked Lapwing.

The taxonomy of the Masked Lapwing is confusing the casual observer from southern Australia particularly when one visits the far north and observes Masked Lapwings as they appear very different to those from the south. Briefly the far northern race Vanellus miles miles has larger yellow wattles on the head with a black crown and no black feathers in front of the wings. The southern race Vanellus miles novaehollandiae has a much smaller yellow wattle black on crown of head and back of neck and continues onto the sides of the breast . Originally the northern race was referred to as Masked Plover and and the southern race the Spurwinged Plover. Latest taxonomy both have been combined as the Masked Lapwings. Certianly they are Lapwings but in the process we have lost a once familiar common name of Spurwinged Plover. Wonder why we couldn't have had Spured Lapwing ?
Further confusion is that when moving from southern states you get intergrades between the two races.

Hope you see something of what I felt when watching this species fly in the late light. I chose to show only about half of one flock for emphasis.
Thanks for viewing
Best regards
Rod Warnock
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Rod Warnock
Rod Warnock
Bulbul
Bulbul

http://Rod Warnock Wildlife Photography at : http://rodwarnockph

Back to top Go down

Masked Lapwings ( Vanellus miles miles) approaching Bromfield Swamp Queensland Empty Re: Masked Lapwings ( Vanellus miles miles) approaching Bromfield Swamp Queensland

Post by alphan Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:48 am

Thanks for showing and nice write up.
alphan
alphan
Bulbul
Bulbul

Back to top Go down