Malaysia Bird Photography Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need help with hornbill

5 posters

Go down

Need help with hornbill Empty Need help with hornbill

Post by deepend Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:32 pm

Hi ppl,

Can anyone help ID this hornbill I saw recently in Teluk Intan, at a cherry bush?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

According to Jeyarajasingam's Field Guide Ed. 2, the only black-billed hornbill is the Bushy-Crested one. But the one in the guide has a blue chin patch while this one has a pink patch. It also has a white supercilium.. anyone?

Thx
deepend
deepend
Sparrow
Sparrow

Back to top Go down

Need help with hornbill Empty Re: Need help with hornbill

Post by jytou Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:12 am

male Black Hornbill, some males have variations to get a white supercilium, this is often a forest edge hornbill but is near-threatened globally, not as common but show capability to survive close to humans at forest edges.

jytou
Woodpecker
Woodpecker

Back to top Go down

Post by mamuin Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:29 pm

Wow! Black Hornbill at Teluk Intan..good find.
mamuin
mamuin
Bulbul
Bulbul

http://www.blogspot.com/mamuin

Back to top Go down

Post by deepend Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:42 pm

Wow thanks Master Tou Smile For a moment I thought it was a hybrid, just like we get in some fishes. "Close to humans" is about right. There were actually a couple but both had the same coloration. And the cherry bush was just next to the dirt trail. about 6 feet from the car (I didn't dare to get down)
deepend
deepend
Sparrow
Sparrow

Back to top Go down

Post by nelson khor Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:22 pm

Nice find...

Roger, when you got this ?
nelson khor
nelson khor
鸟神

http://www.pbase.com/me_photoshots

Back to top Go down

Post by deepend Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:18 pm

Nelson, it was on a trail of Jln Changkat Jong in Teluk Intan, leading into an oil palm estate (my customer) .. should be somewhere near 3.942056,101.111577, if I remember correctly.

Sorry Nelson, eyes a bit blurry .. all in, I took 29 shots, in May 2012
deepend
deepend
Sparrow
Sparrow

Back to top Go down

Post by alphan Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:14 am

When I saw the pic, I did not scroll down for answers already posted. Run through my Guide Books and they tell me Black Hornbill Female. Only this one tell me, Bill brown grey, bare orbital skin and submoustachial patch dull pink. So I answered Black Hornbill Male. But my answer only half right. Tou, where else I missed for me to improve? Thanks.
alphan
alphan
Bulbul
Bulbul

Back to top Go down

Post by jytou Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:49 am

alphan wrote:When I saw the pic, I did not scroll down for answers already posted. Run through my Guide Books and they tell me Black Hornbill Female. Only this one tell me, Bill brown grey, bare orbital skin and submoustachial patch dull pink. So I answered Black Hornbill Male. But my answer only half right. Tou, where else I missed for me to improve? Thanks.

Good point!!! I didn't actually pay that much attention on that since I knew it looked like a Black Hornbill. Supposed that only males have the white browed morph, not sure if it happens on females or not, but true, the face and bill points to female features as the male will gain a larger casque and turn ivory whitish.

If this is not some new found white-browed morph of a female, it is likely some young males perhaps, which is quite logical as younger birds are often more easily being approached and getting further away from their primary habitats for exploration.

jytou
Woodpecker
Woodpecker

Back to top Go down

Post by nelson khor Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:36 pm

deepend wrote:Nelson, it was on a trail of Jln Changkat Jong in Teluk Intan, leading into an oil palm estate (my customer) .. should be somewhere near 3.942056,101.111577, if I remember correctly.

Sorry Nelson, eyes a bit blurry .. all in, I took 29 shots, in May 2012

Thanks.. if recently then I have to drop there and see you too.. ^_^

Do let me know if possible when the fruiting tree start again.
nelson khor
nelson khor
鸟神

Back to top Go down

Post by deepend Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:43 pm

hahah the fruiting part will be tough, I'll just have to pop by every now and then to check it out Wink But sure, buzz me when you're heading this way
deepend
deepend
Sparrow
Sparrow

Back to top Go down

Post by nelson khor Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:55 pm

deepend wrote:hahah the fruiting part will be tough, I'll just have to pop by every now and then to check it out Wink But sure, buzz me when you're heading this way

Mostly the fruiting tree is twice per year, if this is May then the next should be Nov ~ Dec..... anyway now is the fruiting season... Hornbill favor fruiting should be start at Aug... soon

Thanks
nelson khor
nelson khor
鸟神

Back to top Go down

Post by deepend Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:04 pm

Normally how long does each season last?
deepend
deepend
Sparrow
Sparrow

Back to top Go down

Post by alphan Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:58 am

jytou wrote:
alphan wrote:When I saw the pic, I did not scroll down for answers already posted. Run through my Guide Books and they tell me Black Hornbill Female. Only this one tell me, Bill brown grey, bare orbital skin and submoustachial patch dull pink. So I answered Black Hornbill Male. But my answer only half right. Tou, where else I missed for me to improve? Thanks.

Good point!!! I didn't actually pay that much attention on that since I knew it looked like a Black Hornbill. Supposed that only males have the white browed morph, not sure if it happens on females or not, but true, the face and bill points to female features as the male will gain a larger casque and turn ivory whitish.

If this is not some new found white-browed morph of a female, it is likely some young males perhaps, which is quite logical as younger birds are often more easily being approached and getting further away from their primary habitats for exploration.

My bad. My answer in the first place was female (too confused after looking too much at the guide book) LOL. Here in Kuching we don't get to see Black Hornbill. Bintulu and Miri would be plentiful. I once saw a group 3 or 4 Black Hornbill in the fruit trees, just about 10 m from a wooden farm house by the main roadside. We stop the car and have a quick look as it's difficult to photograph them jumping around in the leafy fruit tree.

Thanks for the advice.
alphan
alphan
Bulbul
Bulbul

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down