Malaysia Bird Photography Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What equipment?

+2
wahoo
alphan
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What equipment? - Page 2 Empty Re: What equipment?

Post by alphan Mon May 21, 2012 8:55 pm

TC are not the best of any gears but would come in handy at times. A prime would always be the best on it's own but we cannot be carrying a few primes to cover the range even if one can afford to buy that many. I did notice that TC can be helpful at times but not always give good results. Full frame camera are both expensive and heavy.

Yeah, takes lots of experience to understand everything but we are blessed with helpful peoples here.

Went to a local dealer here to test the 600D and 60D with the 400 5.6. 60D can focus faster plus battery last longer. So i think I will start with the 60D first even though it cost RM800 more. 7D is much bigger, heavier and expensive. I think I will learn more with the 60D first before thinking of upgrading.

How's the kit lenses that comes with the camera? The 18-55 and 50-250? Not my everyday lens but are they any good for travel purpose?
alphan
alphan
Bulbul
Bulbul

Back to top Go down

Post by wahoo Mon May 21, 2012 9:35 pm

get Nikon la, they just excels in lowlight focusing and noise control (racunss.. haha)
wahoo
wahoo
Woodpecker
Woodpecker

Back to top Go down

Post by JKC Mon May 21, 2012 10:21 pm

If you are looking for all round kit lens. Than should consider 18-200mm. Good for traveling. Smile
JKC
JKC
Woodpecker
Woodpecker

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/24469470@N04/

Back to top Go down

Post by alphan Tue May 22, 2012 9:00 pm

wahoo wrote:get Nikon la, they just excels in lowlight focusing and noise control (racunss.. haha)

Agree. My friend can even do BIF on swiftlets with Sigma 150-500 but alas, very few birding lenses on the used market.
alphan
alphan
Bulbul
Bulbul

Back to top Go down

Post by alphan Tue May 22, 2012 9:03 pm

JKC wrote:If you are looking for all round kit lens. Than should consider 18-200mm. Good for traveling. Smile

Never thought of that. Will check it out. How does the pic quality rate against the two kit lens? The idea of Kit lenses are that they are all very light and being cheap, not worried about damage or stolen.
alphan
alphan
Bulbul
Bulbul

Back to top Go down

Post by JKC Tue May 22, 2012 9:19 pm

alphan wrote:Never thought of that. Will check it out. How does the pic quality rate against the two kit lens? The idea of Kit lenses are that they are all very light and being cheap, not worried about damage or stolen.

You have to consider the factors what you want to take with these kit lens.

1. 18mm-200mm - 18mm are wide enough for landscape and 200mm are good for some reach
2. 18-55mm - is light but short fall in some condition during traveling
3. 50-250mm - good for longer reach but short fall not wide enough

Unless you want both 18-55mm & 50-250mm but 18-200mm can covered both.

If you have some buffer than pick up the 50mm f1.8. a cheap but good portrait lens for entry level.

Have fun

Cheers!

Smile
JKC
JKC
Woodpecker
Woodpecker

Back to top Go down

Post by wahoo Tue May 22, 2012 9:29 pm

alphan wrote:
wahoo wrote:get Nikon la, they just excels in lowlight focusing and noise control (racunss.. haha)

Agree. My friend can even do BIF on swiftlets with Sigma 150-500 but alas, very few birding lenses on the used market.

ada mahhh... few days ago I saw one unit AF 300mm f/2.8 and another AFS 400mm f/2.8 is still available at regular camera shop that I used to go.

mine is just using AFS 300mm f/4 with 1.7x teleconverter with a prosumer body. stopping down to f/8-f/10 would produce sharp image although with prosumer body, the focusing is very slow (due to TC). but with D7000 and above towards pro bodies, focusing speed OK lerr due to cross-type focusing... and focus lock is a breeze during lowlight..
wahoo
wahoo
Woodpecker
Woodpecker

Back to top Go down

Post by jhseow Tue May 22, 2012 10:37 pm

wahoo wrote:
alphan wrote:

ada mahhh... few days ago I saw one unit AF 300mm f/2.8 and another AFS 400mm f/2.8 is still available at regular camera shop that I used to go.

mine is just using AFS 300mm f/4 with 1.7x teleconverter with a prosumer body. stopping down to f/8-f/10 would produce sharp image although with prosumer body, the focusing is very slow (due to TC). but with D7000 and above towards pro bodies, focusing speed OK lerr due to cross-type focusing... and focus lock is a breeze during lowlight..

Wah poison poison !! What is the shop name ? How much they sell ?
I thought you have already using AFS 500mm F4 ?
Me also using AFS 300mm + 1.7TC , with D7000 body, focusing is still ok ler for this budget but it buffer is too small, very fast will start lagging if using CH, even thought I am using Sandisk Extreme .
jhseow
jhseow
鸟语花香

Back to top Go down

Post by chongbt Tue May 22, 2012 11:22 pm

I also want to tambah some spices.
If you are looking for a birding or nature setup, you can also consider Olympus.
Despite of people saying its dying, it has actually come of age.
AF and noise used to be its weak points but it's now on par with most sensors.
Best of all you'll double the reach of all your lens and every lens is IS.
Comes in a small and easier to carry package.
The lens may seem expensive, but it's one of the best money can buy.

But whichever way you do go or gone, just enjoy the game and hunt.
chongbt
chongbt
Woodpecker
Woodpecker

http://www.flickr.com/photos/batguyz

Back to top Go down

Post by JKC Tue May 22, 2012 11:49 pm

chongbt wrote:I also want to tambah some spices.
If you are looking for a birding or nature setup, you can also consider Olympus.

Actually the x2 crop factor Olympus body are just pre-crop. But consider the system control of noise and pixel are not bad. I have not use it before so I don't know the percentage it can crop after the pre-crop factor images. How about big print?
JKC
JKC
Woodpecker
Woodpecker

Back to top Go down

Post by JKC Wed May 23, 2012 12:17 am

alphan wrote:Never thought of that. Will check it out. How does the pic quality rate against the two kit lens? The idea of Kit lenses are that they are all very light and being cheap, not worried about damage or stolen.

ok! found some of my pretty old photos taken with 20D & EFS 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 is.

Gabai waterfall ulu langat
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Jeram Toi (Seremban)

these are one of my most remembrance shot, I was on my way to meet Weefar and Ng. We were late because we jam our brake to that these scenery. It's not PP. the sky color was like these

JKC
JKC
Woodpecker
Woodpecker

Back to top Go down

Post by wahoo Wed May 23, 2012 7:43 am

jhseow wrote:
wahoo wrote:
alphan wrote:

Me also using AFS 300mm + 1.7TC , with D7000 body, focusing is still ok ler for this budget but it buffer is too small, very fast will start lagging if using CH, even thought I am using Sandisk Extreme .

it's a shop in Pudu Plaza.

Sandisk Extreme transfer rate is just 30Mb/s. 1 second burst at 6fps is just not fast enough to record into card since typical file size in RAW is approx 10Mb per image, so it takes space so fast in buffer. I seldom burst, so never got problem with buffer.. ngehngehngeh
wahoo
wahoo
Woodpecker
Woodpecker

Back to top Go down

Post by chongbt Wed May 23, 2012 8:03 am

JKC wrote:

Actually the x2 crop factor Olympus body are just pre-crop. But consider the system control of noise and pixel are not bad. I have not use it before so I don't know the percentage it can crop after the pre-crop factor images. How about big print?

Wow, love the sunset shot!

Olympus's files are highly croppable (if there is such word). I too like you crop my images a lot (sometimes 50%).
As for prints, with the native resolution 12.6" x 16.8" (240 dpi).
I've printed them in A3 size too (limited by printer Razz )

I suppose it all boils down to what you want to do with the images.
To print or to post?
chongbt
chongbt
Woodpecker
Woodpecker

Back to top Go down

Post by JKC Wed May 23, 2012 8:56 am

hmm.. that means the Olympus's system are pretty impressive. the only problem are lag of lenses choice. I think Steve Chong camera are under Olympus sponsorship. He used to do Olympus event talks. Smile
JKC
JKC
Woodpecker
Woodpecker

Back to top Go down

Post by chongbt Wed May 23, 2012 11:04 am

JKC wrote:hmm.. that means the Olympus's system are pretty impressive. the only problem are lag of lenses choice. I think Steve Chong camera are under Olympus sponsorship. He used to do Olympus event talks. Smile

I have to agree with the choice of lens.
Anyway, they have already covered 7mm to 300mm (14mm to 600mm EFL) in entry, advance and pro grade.
If we go into third party lens, we are at the 800mm (1600mm EFL).
We still have a few spots that are waiting to be filled.
But, we still have a few more spots that needs to be filled.
chongbt
chongbt
Woodpecker
Woodpecker

Back to top Go down

Post by JKC Wed May 23, 2012 12:35 pm

chongbt wrote:
JKC wrote:hmm.. that means the Olympus's system are pretty impressive. the only problem are lag of lenses choice. I think Steve Chong camera are under Olympus sponsorship. He used to do Olympus event talks. Smile

I have to agree with the choice of lens.
Anyway, they have already covered 7mm to 300mm (14mm to 600mm EFL) in entry, advance and pro grade.
If we go into third party lens, we are at the 800mm (1600mm EFL).
We still have a few spots that are waiting to be filled.
But, we still have a few more spots that needs to be filled.

understood why you get your Sigmonster. haha
JKC
JKC
Woodpecker
Woodpecker

Back to top Go down

Post by alphan Wed May 23, 2012 8:52 pm

wahoo wrote:
alphan wrote:

D7000 was great. Tried it a few times and AF was a breeze. How much was the 400 2.8? Saw online a shop at the same place a Canon 400 2.8 and it cost a bomb. A friend once advice me to get a 400 2.8 when I can afford it, then can play with 1.4 X TC and 2 X TC. Without TC, I can get fast shots handheld but when I saw the weight, I can only imagine the lens drooping over LOL.
alphan
alphan
Bulbul
Bulbul

Back to top Go down

Post by alphan Wed May 23, 2012 8:57 pm

jhseow wrote:
wahoo wrote:
alphan wrote:

All your shots taken with this setup? Must really need to get very close to the birds.
alphan
alphan
Bulbul
Bulbul

Back to top Go down

Post by alphan Wed May 23, 2012 9:06 pm

JKC wrote:

You have to consider the factors what you want to take with these kit lens.

1. 18mm-200mm - 18mm are wide enough for landscape and 200mm are good for some reach
2. 18-55mm - is light but short fall in some condition during traveling
3. 50-250mm - good for longer reach but short fall not wide enough

Unless you want both 18-55mm & 50-250mm but 18-200mm can covered both.

If you have some buffer than pick up the 50mm f1.8. a cheap but good portrait lens for entry level.

Have fun

Cheers!

Smile

Did a quick search and was surprised at the performance of the 18-200. One of the best at wide angle plus goes very well up to the 200. Got to read more about this lens. I once have a 50 1.8 meant for using non flash shots in restricted places but rarely use it because of the focal length restriction. Oh, I never did any portrait shoot. Birds are my first choice and second choice. Macro and Nature would be third. Thanks for tips.
alphan
alphan
Bulbul
Bulbul

Back to top Go down

Post by alphan Wed May 23, 2012 9:44 pm

When I first thought about going Af with bird photography, OM-D came to mind. Then I remember a friend in Singapore using E5 and EP3 and ask him about it. He only had this to say "for birding I suggest Canon or at least Nikon for choices of lens". Olympus now are good but few users so unless I want to buy new bird lens only and keep for good, then it's OK. If buy used, try but not happy sell again, not for Oly. So I got lost LOL. BTW, not gone yet, still hunting for something that I will eventually enjoy. Cheers.
alphan
alphan
Bulbul
Bulbul

Back to top Go down

Post by JKC Wed May 23, 2012 11:50 pm

alphan wrote:Did a quick search and was surprised at the performance of the 18-200. One of the best at wide angle plus goes very well up to the 200. Got to read more about this lens. I once have a 50 1.8 meant for using non flash shots in restricted places but rarely use it because of the focal length restriction. Oh, I never did any portrait shoot. Birds are my first choice and second choice. Macro and Nature would be third. Thanks for tips.

I thought you said about the traveling lens because EFS 50mm f/1.8 are light and cheap and has a decent good bokeh. good to have for traveling. Smile
JKC
JKC
Woodpecker
Woodpecker

Back to top Go down

Post by alphan Fri May 25, 2012 10:26 pm

JKC wrote:
alphan wrote:Did a quick search and was surprised at the performance of the 18-200. One of the best at wide angle plus goes very well up to the 200. Got to read more about this lens. I once have a 50 1.8 meant for using non flash shots in restricted places but rarely use it because of the focal length restriction. Oh, I never did any portrait shoot. Birds are my first choice and second choice. Macro and Nature would be third. Thanks for tips.

I thought you said about the traveling lens because EFS 50mm f/1.8 are light and cheap and has a decent good bokeh. good to have for traveling. Smile

Yes travelling. I once had a modified MF 50 1.4 which was good and fast, but being fix at 50mm, I need space and time to compose but others will get fed up with me taking too much time. At places like museum, etc, there are big crowd thus cannot get further away to get all in. It did surprise me the price of the EFS 50 1.8 vs quality. I am seriously considering the 18-200 which will cover almost everything except birding and macro (for my use). Then it will be pasar malam time for my Sony gears.
alphan
alphan
Bulbul
Bulbul

Back to top Go down

Post by nelson khor Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:35 pm

I will not consider 18-200mm, I will consider 24-105... I just brought Canon 24-105mm F4L IS.... it work good... because I use my brother lens is Canon 18-105mm F3.5-5.6.. the quality output not good

I have some of firend said 18-200mm so so only if quality
nelson khor
nelson khor
鸟神

http://www.pbase.com/me_photoshots

Back to top Go down

Post by alphan Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:34 am

nelson khor wrote:I will not consider 18-200mm, I will consider 24-105... I just brought Canon 24-105mm F4L IS.... it work good... because I use my brother lens is Canon 18-105mm F3.5-5.6.. the quality output not good

I have some of firend said 18-200mm so so only if quality

Already an old thread. Just to update.

I already bought the 18-200 as kit lens and good only for travel and walk about lens. Not meant for cropping etc. Now looking for a 70-200 f 4 IS for the compactness and resolution. Can add in a 1.4X III and or an extension tube for insects and butterflies too, when there are no birds around.

The 24-105 is good but the 24-70 even better....ha.... only thing not better is the paper with Agong Head.
alphan
alphan
Bulbul
Bulbul

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum