Malaysia Bird Photography Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Citrine Wagtail

+2
jytou
BENCYF
6 posters

Go down

Citrine Wagtail Empty Citrine Wagtail

Post by BENCYF Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:06 pm

While waiting for Blue throated to show out. This fella flew in to let me passed time.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
BENCYF
BENCYF
Woodpecker
Woodpecker

Back to top Go down

Citrine Wagtail Empty Re: Citrine Wagtail

Post by jytou Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:09 pm

erm.... your Citrine did not show the fully extended pale stripe behind the ears, but the shape did show up, not sure if this is a variation or something? The Citrine is recently recorded in Malaysia for this first time this month, so guess its time to start getting familiar with it now perhaps??

I could had probably identify this as "taivana" Yellow Wagtail if I saw it here in the wild, must keep my eyes open then....... The "taivana" Yellow Wagtail is also quite uncommon and rare in Malaysia....

jytou
Woodpecker
Woodpecker

Back to top Go down

Post by BENCYF Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:27 pm

jytou wrote:erm.... your Citrine did not show the fully extended pale stripe behind the ears, but the shape did show up, not sure if this is a variation or something? The Citrine is recently recorded in Malaysia for this first time this month, so guess its time to start getting familiar with it now perhaps??

I could had probably identify this as "taivana" Yellow Wagtail if I saw it here in the wild, must keep my eyes open then....... The "taivana" Yellow Wagtail is also quite uncommon and rare in Malaysia....
Hm!!!!I checked bird book, I agreed with you
this is probably a Taivana. But still not 100% taivana.
Let see if there is other C Fu can help.
BENCYF
BENCYF
Woodpecker
Woodpecker

Back to top Go down

Post by nelson khor Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:55 pm

jytou wrote:erm.... your Citrine did not show the fully extended pale stripe behind the ears, but the shape did show up, not sure if this is a variation or something? The Citrine is recently recorded in Malaysia for this first time this month, so guess its time to start getting familiar with it now perhaps??

I go to find few day ago for this bird at that place but not manage to find it reason there are few hundred of Yellow Wagtail there... can't really one by one check
nelson khor
nelson khor
鸟神

http://www.pbase.com/me_photoshots

Back to top Go down

Post by BENCYF Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:59 pm

nelson khor wrote:

I go to find few day ago for this bird at that place but not manage to find it reason there are few hundred of Yellow Wagtail there... can't really one by one check

hundred of yellow wagtail!! You better ask Tou to be there to count and identify both species. cheers
BENCYF
BENCYF
Woodpecker
Woodpecker

Back to top Go down

Post by jytou Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:28 am

BENCYF wrote:

har??? You not sure with ID one ar.......

1. Face, the Citrine have a specific face pattern, as mentioned
2. Vent color, Citrine had a fully white vent at all time, but this bird had yellow at the base of the vent
3 Yellow Wagtail upperparts more olive, but not clearly showed in your photo

jytou
Woodpecker
Woodpecker

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr No Good Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:13 am

Here is sample of Citrine...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Mr No Good
Mr No Good
山林与鸟

http://www.flickr.com/photos/banhor/

Back to top Go down

Post by BENCYF Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:26 am

jytou wrote:
BENCYF wrote:

2. Vent color, Citrine had a fully white vent at all time, but this bird had yellow at the base of the vent

Tou, I think I have another sub species of Citrine here after referring to Mr No Good picture.
Let me get more shots if there is a chance to meet them.
BENCYF
BENCYF
Woodpecker
Woodpecker

Back to top Go down

Post by jytou Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:45 pm

BENCYF wrote:
jytou wrote:
BENCYF wrote:

Tou, I think I have another sub species of Citrine here after referring to Mr No Good picture.
Let me get more shots if there is a chance to meet them.

Aiyoh..... No Good punya is breeding male la..... urs most likely moulting to wintering plumage but still midway, not sure about the differences between subspecies, but probably 2 of them could arrive in HK and SEA area.....

jytou
Woodpecker
Woodpecker

Back to top Go down

Post by jytou Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:52 pm

hi BEN, yours is more likely "taivana" Yellow Wagtail or sometimes suggested to be split as Green-headed Wagtail.

Reasons are there is a lack of thin white/pale line behind the ear separating the face and body patterns. Also the ear coverts are with olive tinge that should not be in the Citrine. I think more like points to a "taivana" Yellow than Citrine.

jytou
Woodpecker
Woodpecker

Back to top Go down

Post by bklim Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:36 am

Very nice
bklim
bklim
Flycatcher
Flycatcher

Back to top Go down

Post by BENCYF Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:00 am

jytou wrote:hi BEN, yours is more likely "taivana" Yellow Wagtail or sometimes suggested to be split as Green-headed Wagtail.

Reasons are there is a lack of thin white/pale line behind the ear separating the face and body patterns. Also the ear coverts are with olive tinge that should not be in the Citrine. I think more like points to a "taivana" Yellow than Citrine.

Yes, totally agreed with you now. cheers
BENCYF
BENCYF
Woodpecker
Woodpecker

Back to top Go down

Post by wmw998 Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:53 pm

Great capture Ben, and very close, but the feather detail seems a little lacking, maybe this is due to the fine texture?

wmw998
Flycatcher
Flycatcher

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down