Malaysia Bird Photography Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What trigger you to Birding??

+9
makus
jack2964
benten
irfanchoo
wahoo
Evantmk
KoAn
cmchong
JKC
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What trigger you to Birding?? Empty What trigger you to Birding??

Post by JKC Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:49 pm

I think is a interesting subject to know. haha
JKC
JKC
Woodpecker
Woodpecker

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/24469470@N04/

Back to top Go down

What trigger you to Birding?? Empty Re: What trigger you to Birding??

Post by cmchong Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:13 pm

Monkey see, Monkey do?!! Rolling Eyes [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

cmchong
Sparrow
Sparrow

Back to top Go down

Post by KoAn Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:02 pm

Haha! poisoned by Mr. No Good.
KoAn
KoAn
Bulbul
Bulbul

Back to top Go down

Post by Evantmk Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:19 pm

from me, when I got 300mm, what picture should I shots, then the birds keep coming around my apartment. So then, now trying out bird photography.
Evantmk
Evantmk
Bulbul
Bulbul

http://www.mengkeat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by wahoo Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:20 pm

just a common house crow.. that's it
wahoo
wahoo
Woodpecker
Woodpecker

Back to top Go down

Post by JKC Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:21 pm

update mine.

At first I pick up these birding subjects due to my health because I need to do a lot of walking exercise after my Spine T4 & T5 disc transplant. To get me moving and also to make it more interesting while walking along the trails, taking back photography will be a good idea and also are one of my hobbies. At first I continue my long lost subject. Macro photography but after a while I notice it will cause more problem to my back due to uncertain bending and twisting on body to get a nice compo. So I get into birdings which are more challenging and interesting.

Now my main objective are to capture as much birds species as possible before they extinct but what I want are to capture a good quality images so that it can show the details of the birds beauty. Maybe one day these might help other to know that Malaysia too has spectacular bird’s species. I believed a lot of Malaysia does not even know that Malaysia have these birds species if they have not see one of these images.

Smile

Last edited by JKC on Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
JKC
JKC
Woodpecker
Woodpecker

Back to top Go down

Post by irfanchoo Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:30 am

thanks bro Jkc's sharing..
about 8 years ago, i bought my first slr , a nikon f80... but don't know what to shoot... naturally i shoot crow and sparrow behind my house, ... with my 28-80mm... ha ha
then my wife show me the British photo magazine... the photo from the magazine... only those wild life photo made my blood boiling ....
but too bad my wife said is hopeless to find wild life (Africa's lion / elephant ) in malaysia.. unless we find job in Africa...
then my wife said: I think you should try bird photography, i hear many one said malaysia have plenty of bird...

i am quite sure she regret said this idea to me...
so here am i fooling around in this hobby....
hopefully the rest of my life.....
Birdie

irfanchoo
Bulbul
Bulbul

Back to top Go down

Post by JKC Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:12 am

bro irfan

I think all the wife won't bother us because taking up this subject is better than going out for drinks. I would said these are a healthy hobbies.

but if you take up the subject of little dragon lady than different story lar. haha
JKC
JKC
Woodpecker
Woodpecker

Back to top Go down

Post by benten Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:43 pm

I start photography about 3 years ago & use to do macro but was later fascinated with birding after viewing all those beautiful & colorful birds in the forums. Mainly I like the challenge of the hunt & I always get an adreline rush whenever I see a potential target in the trees bounce
benten
benten
Sparrow
Sparrow

Back to top Go down

Post by JKC Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:45 pm

cmchong wrote:Monkey see, Monkey do?!! Rolling Eyes [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

the 1st monkey bought many lens the other monkey follow? Twisted Evil

KoAn wrote:Haha! poisoned by Mr. No Good.

his nick already tell you wor. hahahah Twisted Evil

Evantmk wrote:from me, when I got 300mm, what picture should I shots, then the birds keep coming around my apartment. So then, now trying out bird photography.

somtime is very funny. when you don't have the gear you see a lot of things to capture but once you have the gear ready, they are so hard to find. hahaha

wahoo wrote:just a common house crow.. that's it

a motivated crow. hehehee

benten wrote:I start photography about 3 years ago & use to do macro but was later fascinated with birding after viewing all those beautiful & colorful birds in the forums. Mainly I like the challenge of the hunt & I always get an adreline rush whenever I see a potential target in the trees bounce

oh! if you really get into it you'll find a lot more interesting things behind every shot. Twisted Evil
JKC
JKC
Woodpecker
Woodpecker

Back to top Go down

Post by wahoo Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:54 pm

Jeffery, to be honest I started birding by a coincident.

I bought my first camera last year for my family vacation. I thought it would be nice to have a camera to capture my kids having good time during the holiday. usually I shot using compact camera which belongs to my employer until my boss doesn't allow me to borrow it for my family outing.

frustrated, I go to the nearest Foto Zoom outlet and grab a D3000.

the camera rest inside a bag collecting dust after my family vacation because I couldn't figure out what to shoot with it next.

about two months after that, I was on the bed and heard some noisy crow outside of my house. from my balcony, I can see a flock of crow making a big hoo-haa due to unknown reason.

I picked my camera and start shooting them. a pair of ET sparrow also perching on my neighbor's TV antenna, so near.

once I unload the JPEGs into my PC, suddenly I feel that those crows and sparrows look nice except they're look tiny in the screen due to standard 18-55mm kitlens.

here it is:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

then, my list of arsenal began to evolve. from D3000 to D90 due to better iso noise and controls. 70-300VR to Bigma to AF 300mm f/4 and now AFS 300mm f/4. got 1.4x, 1.7x and 2x TC and I believe that wouldn't be the end... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by wahoo on Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
wahoo
wahoo
Woodpecker
Woodpecker

Back to top Go down

Post by cmchong Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:57 pm

JKC wrote:
cmchong wrote:Monkey see, Monkey do?!! Rolling Eyes [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

the 1st monkey bought many lens the other monkey follow? Twisted Evil

Hahaha....that is the absolute truth; really kena poisoned, left, right and center! Embarassed Rolling Eyes [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

No prizes for guessing who the 1st Monkey is! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

cmchong
Sparrow
Sparrow

Back to top Go down

Post by jack2964 Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:21 am

Interesting topic Jkc, and it seems some of us fell into this trap unwittingly (including myself). I've always had an interest in birds. When I was a kid I used to lastic them just for fun.
For me, I started less than a year ago. I was on holiday in rural thailand and there was this greater coucal perched on a bamboo grove. I only had an outdated canon powershot a75 with 3x zoom I think. Of course the pix were awful but I enjoyed it. Then I played around with a digiscope set which I very quickly chuck into my storeroom because it sux! I then went out and got a dslr. Didn't even know how to use one at all and still struggling. I think I am now a confirmed addict, forever looking forward to weekends to go shooting. This hobby has burnt a big hole in my pocket and continues to burn out of control. I need urgent counseling now. affraid HELP! affraid

jack2964
Bulbul
Bulbul

Back to top Go down

Post by JKC Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:21 am

wahoo wrote:Jeffery, to be honest I started birding by a coincident.

I bought my first camera last year for my family vacation. I thought it would be nice to have a camera to capture my kids having good time during the holiday. usually I shot using compact camera which belongs to my employer until my boss doesn't allow me to borrow it for my family outing.

frustrated, I go to the nearest Foto Zoom outlet and grab a D3000.

the camera rest inside a bag collecting dust after my family vacation because I couldn't figure out what to shoot with it next.

about two months after that, I was on the bed and heard some noisy crow outside of my house. from my balcony, I can see a flock of crow making a big hoo-haa due to unknown reason.

I picked my camera and start shooting them. a pair of ET sparrow also perching on my neighbor's TV antenna, so near.

once I unload the JPEGs into my PC, suddenly I feel that those crows and sparrows look nice except they're look tiny in the screen due to standard 18-55mm kitlens.

then, my list of arsenal began to evolve. from D3000 to D90 due to better iso noise and controls. 70-300VR to Bigma to AF 300mm f/4 and now AFS 300mm f/4. got 1.4x, 1.7x and 2x TC and I believe that wouldn't be the end... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

not to worry bro. you won't see the last of the lens..heheheee..... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

to be frank. I see you have improved a lot di. cheers

jack2964 wrote:Interesting topic Jkc, and it seems some of us fell into this trap unwittingly (including myself). I've always had an interest in birds. When I was a kid I used to lastic them just for fun.
For me, I started less than a year ago. I was on holiday in rural thailand and there was this greater coucal perched on a bamboo grove. I only had an outdated canon powershot a75 with 3x zoom I think. Of course the pix were awful but I enjoyed it. Then I played around with a digiscope set which I very quickly chuck into my storeroom because it sux! I then went out and got a dslr. Didn't even know how to use one at all and still struggling. I think I am now a confirmed addict, forever looking forward to weekends to go shooting. This hobby has burnt a big hole in my pocket and continues to burn out of control. I need urgent counseling now. affraid HELP! affraid

I think is OK if you have the bullet. actually it depend on your expectation. the more you want the better you have to get lo. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
JKC
JKC
Woodpecker
Woodpecker

Back to top Go down

Post by makus Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:21 am

Long story... I was poisoned kao kao by a Mee Rebus, a Nikon Pimp, a God of Bird and a Master Tok Tok Tok... who really can talk [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I remember I just bought a 70-300mm lens and went to a zoo to shoot some wildless animals... and posted in a forum. Then I saw some very nice bird photos posted by the above poisoners, so I hand itchy and went out to shoot some birds around the taman... and here is where I am now. Once you've started there is no turning back [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
makus
makus
Woodpecker
Woodpecker

Back to top Go down

Post by irfanchoo Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:23 am

makus wrote:Long story... I was poisoned kao kao by a Mee Rebus, a Nikon Pimp, a God of Bird and a Master Tok Tok Tok... who really can talk [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I remember I just bought a 70-300mm lens and went to a zoo to shoot some wildless animals... and posted in a forum. Then I saw some very nice bird photos posted by the above poisoners, so I hand itchy and went out to shoot some birds around the taman... and here is where I am now. Once you've started there is no turning back [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

i think you don't know i purposely go back to search your first zoo posting.. and find out your first post is already very good!

irfanchoo
Bulbul
Bulbul

Back to top Go down

Post by mun Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:48 pm

I have been interested in wildlife ever since I was a young kid. I went along for my first birding trip when I was a teenager and instantly became addicted to the hobby.

Now, 22 years later, I'm still at it and as passionate as ever. However, I only started to compliment my birding with bird photography about 5 years back. But I must say, bird photography has injected a new sense of excitement to all my birding trips since then.
mun
mun
Bulbul
Bulbul

http://penangbirder.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by JKC Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:54 pm

thanks to all the sharing. love reading them cheers
JKC
JKC
Woodpecker
Woodpecker

Back to top Go down

Post by JKC Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:30 am

anybody else like to share your stories? pls [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
JKC
JKC
Woodpecker
Woodpecker

Back to top Go down

Post by jytou Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:38 pm

Erm...... mine....

around 13 years ago, my favorite animal is still dinosaurs, followed by the cat family......

I always seen many feral Pigeons in front of my dad's shop, I once attempted to stay still as they feed and nearly caught one of them. Soon after my dad joined the fun and we managed to catch at least 40+ pigeons over the whole duration, transport them home, paint their feet and release them, in the hope to test their "homing" capabilities, unfortunately with my current knowledge on pigeons, I must laugh out very loud at myself for believing that untrained pigeons would "home" back home......... hahahahahaha Very Happy

During one occasion, one of the pigeon panicly flew into our shop and got hit by the fan, causing some wing injuries, we adopted it for months until it was capable of doing low flight and is capable to go to its favorite spots outside the house without informing us, sadly during the 2nd day it learnt to hang out at one of its favorite spot at the evening, our bicycle, we was hoping to see it come into the house by itself, it didnt..... being snatched by a cat, we recovered the bird, that survives until next morning with a serious wound from the bite from the back to the belly. My first pet and ever since, I suddenly got interested with birds and keep looking at all the books I can find on birds in my reading room, including many child reading materials, a set of English encyclopedias (also my favorite reference on dinosaur back then...), dictionaries, whatever I found. My house is not equipped with internet back then.

I then hope to list out what I can see in my garden, in their common name, I remembered listing the Oriental Magpie Robin as a "Magpie", the yellow-vented bulbul as a "Jay-liked bird" (for its similarity of the face features with the Eurasian Jay), there are more, some simply sketch it out when I cant name it at all. I get to know their real names when I get my first photographic guide and ever since learning day by day, collecting species that occurs near my house, and that became my primary hobby, and after 13 years, I now got 137 species in the neighborhood, which was greatly expanded to roughly cover a 2 km radius area.

I started to pick up photography when a digicam with 6x optical zoom is "inherited" to me from my brother just about 2 years ago, started my digital birding journey and with the FZ-100 joining me this March, definitely put me in a more serious photography game, despite watching would continue to be my main interest, and I also expand to studying the occurrence, behaviors and etc about the birds I see.

I now also expand into looking at other creatures when opportunity arise, including mammals, herps, insects and etc.

That is my short story how I get into birding..... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

jytou
Woodpecker
Woodpecker

Back to top Go down

Post by irfanchoo Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:39 am

jytou , very interesting, thanks for sharing...

irfanchoo
Bulbul
Bulbul

Back to top Go down

Post by JKC Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:48 am

thx jytou. cheers
JKC
JKC
Woodpecker
Woodpecker

Back to top Go down

Post by chongbt Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:23 pm

23 years ago, my brother gave me a pair of binos and took me to (of all places) fraser's hill for my first birding trip. So, that's how I got into birding first.

Then much later, he provided me with these wonderful digital toys to play with. Plus the poisons from his collection are very, very potent.

So, for me... Thank to my brother & I'm loving it.
chongbt
chongbt
Woodpecker
Woodpecker

http://www.flickr.com/photos/batguyz

Back to top Go down

Post by wahoo Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:01 pm

Chong, I wonder who is your brother. Is he joining any birding forum or here?
wahoo
wahoo
Woodpecker
Woodpecker

Back to top Go down

Post by chongbt Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:23 pm

wahoo wrote:Chong, I wonder who is your brother. Is he joining any birding forum or here?

You already have his flickr contact.

He isn't active in forums, but he does visits once a while.
Not sure if he been invited here or not.
Try this link to get to know him better.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
chongbt
chongbt
Woodpecker
Woodpecker

http://www.flickr.com/photos/batguyz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next