Malaysia Bird Photography Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oriental Bay Owl, Kinabatangan River, Sabah

+10
jhseow
irfanchoo
ketupuketupu
BENCYF
hawkeyes
wahoo
JKC
horukuru
nelson khor
tsechien
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Oriental Bay Owl, Kinabatangan River, Sabah Empty Oriental Bay Owl, Kinabatangan River, Sabah

Post by tsechien Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:38 pm

Oriental Bay Owl, Kinabatangan River, Sabah

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Manual Mode 1/60secs, f6.3 at ISO 3200, Center Weighed metered, focal length 850mm

This small owl is quite a
scarce and rarely encountered resident species of the floodplains and
lowland forests of Borneo. It prefers to perch on vertical tree trunks
much like a woodpecker (as this image shows).

We had to beach the boat on
the mud and jump off onto the mud for this shot. Taken standing almost
knee deep in mud in the torrential rain at night at 10pm with a black
garbage bag over my lens and camera. Had to tear a small hole so I could
see the viewfinder.

This image is a culmination
of teamwork from 4 people working in unison. A guide to spot the bird
and hold and aim a halogen spotlight, a front spotter to hold a 2nd
halogen spotlight while steadying the bow of the boat among the trees
and a helmsman at the back idling the engine to hold the boat in
position and a shooter off the boat, on the mud to close in on the
target.

All in the blinding unrelenting rain in the middle of the night in a crocodile infested Kinabatangan tributary.

The above image was taken with a D7000, Nikkor AF-S 600mm f4 II IF-ED with a Nikon AF-S TC 14E II Teleconverter mounted on a Wimberley II gimbal head and a Gitzo G1325 carbon fiber legs.

Note that the image link above is updated each week with a new bird (it's my "Image Of The Week" page). Hence you may no longer see the bird titled here. Sorry about that.

Chien
AvianNatureScapes Wildlife Photography
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
tsechien
tsechien
Sparrow
Sparrow

http://www.aviannaturescapes.net

Back to top Go down

Oriental Bay Owl, Kinabatangan River, Sabah Empty Re: Oriental Bay Owl, Kinabatangan River, Sabah

Post by nelson khor Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:40 pm

Not easy task too... I live this owl like woodpecker... hope one day also can see it myself.

NICE SHOTS
nelson khor
nelson khor
鸟神

http://www.pbase.com/me_photoshots

Back to top Go down

Oriental Bay Owl, Kinabatangan River, Sabah Empty Re: Oriental Bay Owl, Kinabatangan River, Sabah

Post by horukuru Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:59 pm

Yes I agree Chien.

Mostly heard only and I have not seen one too :p
horukuru
horukuru
Bulbul
Bulbul

http://horukuru.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JKC Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:05 pm

Congrats! and she is cute. Smile
JKC
JKC
Woodpecker
Woodpecker

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/24469470@N04/

Back to top Go down

Post by wahoo Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:12 pm

OMG! a very rare owl!
wahoo
wahoo
Woodpecker
Woodpecker

Back to top Go down

Post by tsechien Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:41 pm

Thanks guys Smile

Wow, Horukuru has not seen it yet?? Then I must say that it is indeed rare! You are close to getting membership into the Borneo 500 club correct?
tsechien
tsechien
Sparrow
Sparrow

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeyes Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:11 pm

Superb shot. cheers
hawkeyes
hawkeyes
Bulbul
Bulbul

http://www.pbase.com/kiah

Back to top Go down

Post by BENCYF Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:43 pm

this is cute and rare. Very nice capture. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
BENCYF
BENCYF
Woodpecker
Woodpecker

Back to top Go down

Post by ketupuketupu Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:48 pm

Owl What a Face .
I want to find one once I go to Broneo. Evil or Very Mad
ketupuketupu
ketupuketupu
Bulbul
Bulbul

Back to top Go down

Post by irfanchoo Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:02 am

very rare find, and the pic is good too!!!! cheers

irfanchoo
Bulbul
Bulbul

Back to top Go down

Post by jhseow Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:22 am

Great shots of the rare bird, thank for sharing.

Great story telling too ! Can imagine how difficult and excited is it . Thumbs Up
jhseow
jhseow
鸟语花香

Back to top Go down

Post by wahoo Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:11 am

pardon my ignorance. what is Borneo 500 club?
wahoo
wahoo
Woodpecker
Woodpecker

Back to top Go down

Post by horukuru Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:00 am

tsechien wrote:Thanks guys Smile

Wow, Horukuru has not seen it yet?? Then I must say that it is indeed rare! You are close to getting membership into the Borneo 500 club correct?

Ya ba Chien not really lucky with Frogmouth, Nightjar and Owl for my list Embarassed and need 40 over species for 500 Very Happy
horukuru
horukuru
Bulbul
Bulbul

http://horukuru.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tsechien Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:39 am

wahoo wrote:pardon my ignorance. what is Borneo 500 club?

Must have confirmed verified sightings of 500 species of birds Smile

chien
Aviannaturescapes Wildlife Photography
tsechien
tsechien
Sparrow
Sparrow

Back to top Go down

Post by jytou Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:27 am

a club for those who had seen at least 500 species of birds in Borneo...... I am probably only qualified for Borneo 5..... if there is one...... hahaha.....

There is also a Peninsular Malaysia 500 club, I am already HALF-WAY there, yes, really half way with only around 250 species..... Sad Sad Sad Sad No time to go out do serious birding yet, more than half of the species I have seen had been seen in my garden, current and previous workplace environment....... one of the seriously low counts are on primary forest birds and coastal birds, something seriously missing from my list as I dont visit these areas much.

jytou
Woodpecker
Woodpecker

Back to top Go down

Post by tsechien Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:27 pm

Great to hear that!

The 1st 150 to 200 or so takes about 1 year, the next 50 takes another full year, the next 100, takes a further 2-3 years and the last lot of 250 could take up the rest of one's lifetime as birds get rarer and rarer......

chien

jytou wrote:

a club for those who had seen at least 500 species of birds in Borneo...... I am probably only qualified for Borneo 5..... if there is one...... hahaha.....

There is also a Peninsular Malaysia 500 club, I am already HALF-WAY there, yes, really half way with only around 250 species..... Sad Sad Sad Sad No time to go out do serious birding yet, more than half of the species I have seen had been seen in my garden, current and previous workplace environment....... one of the seriously low counts are on primary forest birds and coastal birds, something seriously missing from my list as I dont visit these areas much.
tsechien
tsechien
Sparrow
Sparrow

Back to top Go down

Post by jytou Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:06 pm

tsechien wrote:Great to hear that!

The 1st 150 to 200 or so takes about 1 year, the next 50 takes another full year, the next 100, takes a further 2-3 years and the last lot of 250 could take up the rest of one's lifetime as birds get rarer and rarer......

chien

jytou wrote:

I have been birding for 13 years...... haha, your formula failed on me......

jytou
Woodpecker
Woodpecker

Back to top Go down

Post by Evantmk Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:21 pm

great work choo. with this type of excitement, crocodile hv to wait in line.

Smile Smile
Evantmk
Evantmk
Bulbul
Bulbul

http://www.mengkeat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ketupuketupu Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:37 pm

jytou wrote:

I see, so I am qualified for B 10...., P20...., T300..... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
ketupuketupu
ketupuketupu
Bulbul
Bulbul

Back to top Go down

Post by jytou Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:15 pm

ketupuketupu wrote:
jytou wrote:

I see, so I am qualified for B 10...., P20...., T300..... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

T is ?? Are you kidding, you only see 20 species in Peninsular and 10 in Borneo? My house 1-2 hour birding also worst weather I get almost 20 species redi, good weather, good spot, something up to 50 species in a trip within 3-4 hours....... but I add a few that I saw in Vietnam, China, New Zealand still almost only 300...... I saw so few species......... sob sob.... Sad Sad Sad

Now is work first la... when I retire, I will start hunting for more...... (long before that will arrive) but I am happy with backyard birdwatching so far, my main source of lifers comes from my own doorstep, my neighborhood and my workplace...... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] And not necessary bad ones....... for example Javan Pond Heron (opposite my house), Rufous-bellied Eagle (flew pass my house on migration), Asian Paradise Flycatcher (perched opposite my house), Common Kestrel (seen near my house) and etc....... sometimes backyard birdwatching is fun because it is way harder to expect what you will see because your backyard is often only best watched by yourself..... so far the only bird that is identified in my neighborhood by someone else but is not seen by me is the Black-capped Kingfisher, I am still waiting for this lifer.... PLEASE...... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

jytou
Woodpecker
Woodpecker

Back to top Go down

Post by troylim Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:58 pm

Chien, nice to see you posting here.
Great work as usual!

troylim
Bulbul
Bulbul

http://www.troylimphotography.com - www.facebook.com/pages/Troy-

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr No Good Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:05 pm

ketupuketupu wrote:
jytou wrote:

Cannot be la....you close eye while birding ka...hehehe

Chien is bird magnet......
Mr No Good
Mr No Good
山林与鸟

http://www.flickr.com/photos/banhor/

Back to top Go down

Post by jytou Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:28 pm

Mr No Good wrote:
ketupuketupu wrote:
jytou wrote:

maybe he carries a gun, fire craker or something with him everytime and fire them all around, all birds long fleed before he can even noticed, so probably even sparrows are hardly seen..... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

jytou
Woodpecker
Woodpecker

Back to top Go down

Post by irfanchoo Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:40 pm

Mr No Good wrote:
ketupuketupu wrote:
jytou wrote:

agree!! Thumbs Up

irfanchoo
Bulbul
Bulbul

Back to top Go down

Post by ketupuketupu Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:06 am

OK lah.
B 50, P 100.... Laughing rabbit [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
ketupuketupu
ketupuketupu
Bulbul
Bulbul

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next